Munich, July 2021
PKvitality – an innovative start-up brought up their unique solution to the 12 IoT/WT Innovation World Cup®. PKvitality develops K’Watch Glucose, a line of next generation trackers with the ability to analyze key physiological markers by simply testing the skin rather than analyzing blood samples.
1. INTRODUCE YOURSELF! – HOW DID IT ALL START?
PKvitality is an advanced bio-wearable company currently working on its innovative Skin Taste® technology. This technology will allow the analysis of key physiological markers by simply “tasting” the skin rather than analysing blood samples. It will be placed at the back of K’Watch, a smartwatch providing a painless and discrete Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) device. It will enable a precise and continuous monitoring of glucose level anytime and anywhere. Using the same technology, PKvitality is also working on K’Watch Athlete, a smartwatch which will provide real-time monitoring of their lactic acid – an indicator of muscle fatigue – to significantly improve an athlete’s training and performance.
We started this project since 2016 and the name of PKvitality pronounced “Pekka” in French means star in Polynesian dialect. It’s the encounter of the Tribal world, our origins, and the Stars, a journey, an adventure. PK is a journey towards the human being.
2. WHAT ARE THE KEY MILESTONES YOU HAVE REACHED SO FAR?
- 2016: project initiated
- 01/2017: Consumer Electronic Show presence: 3 awards including 1 BEST OF INNOVATION in “Tech for a Better World”
- December 2017: Laureate of Concours Innovation Numérique by BPIFrance (1 045K€)
- October 2018: Entering pre-clinical stage (more in vitro, 1st in vivo, ex vivo, in silico)
- October 2019: Beurer Gmbh, a major distributor of blood monitors in Germany, Italy and Austria invests 2M€ alongside a 250K€ private investment from Beurer Managing Director
- November 2019: PKvitality first company to be co accelerated by Dassault Systemes and Sanofi
- December 2019: Winner in the Medtech category of EIT Health Catapult contest, the largest European startup health contest
- June 2020: Seed fundraising tour closed with a total of €3,4m
- September 2020: Laureate of the Eurostars and Innov’up Leader PIA programs and start of the research on multi-analyte monitoring solutions
- September 2020: Laureate of the highly selective EIC Accelerator program
- November 2020: Won the 12th edition of the Healthcare Innovation World Cup®
3. WHAT WERE THE BIGGEST CHALLENGES YOU HAVE FACED?
The main challenge PKvitality has faced is due to the pluridisciplinary and complexity of the project. PKvitality has successfully gathered a team of medical experts, entrepreneurs, people with consumer electronics approach and a competent IT and engineering team. And all of these people work together to foster collective intelligence, that was a challenge.
The funding is also a major key to a startup success. Many supports are foreseen so that startups can continue to develop, especially in public funding. One very important thing is to understand the ecosystem and the international, continental or national grants/training/supports that can be applied for your company and the right timing to use them.
4. WHAT IS COMING IN THE NEAR FUTURE?
We are currently preparing the first clinical trials that will happen in a couple of months on a reduced number of people.
5. DESCRIBE YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE INNOVATION WORLD CUP® AND BEING THE WINNER?
The Innovation World Cup® was a great experience for PKvitality and we will definitely be back in the competition next year!
6. CAN YOU SHARE WITH US YOUR THREE TIPS FOR UP-COMING START-UPS?
- Gather concrete elements and results to show your product/prototype is on track and present them in an understandable and attractive way.
- Build your presentation around a coherent and fluid storytelling.
- Practice practice practice… your pitch!
THANK YOU FOR THE INTERESTING INSIGHTS AND WE SHALL KEEP WATCHING YOUR NEXT BIG STEPS!
Visit PKvitality and learn more about their tracking devices that will help millions of people to improve their health or athletic performance.
Join the 13th IoT/WT Innovation World Cup®. Submit your solution free of charge. The top selected finalists will be invited to present their solution live at HANNOVER MESSE 2022.
Don´t miss your chance!